Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Thrift Share - Estate Sales :)

Morgan Dennis poodle sketch on tile

Saturday morning, I went to an estate sale two hours north. I have found a company I really really like and have found that this is key to a good sale. Good professional people who know what they're doing make great choices. I love a good adventure, and have committed to being 'ok' with whatever happens. I'm not a crazy early-riser, so I like to give myself room to sleep as long as I need instead of waking up at 5am to be the first there. It's more important to me to take care of myself than it is to get the best stuff.

So Pretty eau de parfum from Cartier

There are a lot of different kinds of estate sales. Some estate dealers only want to sell to collectors, so everything is priced ridiculously high. I hate these sales. I think these people are fooling themselves (my not-so-humble opinion). Then there are others that go through everything and leave the remnants. These aren't even really "estate" sales. I can tell right away when I get there early and the house is empty. Then there are the super pros who have no interest in the love of thrift and recycling. They just want to sell stuff for as much as they can, have no interest in anything but money, and aren't typically very friendly or accommodating.

Couroc of Monterey 'Karate Cart' platter/plate

A good company is organized, knowledgeable, and helpful. This house I was in on Saturday was super-small and packed with stuff, so it was difficult to walk around and get to stuff. One of the employees helped me get a box so I could organize my stuff. It helped me so much. What a sweetheart. And when their iPad Square didn't work, they held my stuff for me while I went in search of cash, and remembered my name when I returned. Their prices were reasonable. The house was clean and well marked. They made it clear that they didn't accept deals on Saturday (pretty common, but I always ask).

It was a lovely morning. I found great stuff, and I was happy for the rest of the day. I got through a lot of the listings for the perfume I bought, and made a plan for the rest. I'm beginning to feel like I'm expanding. Maybe I'm just buying a lot of inventory ;)

Linking up with Nifty Thrifty and Sir Thrift a Lot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment